Updated: June 2020
As recruiting software becomes more mainstream in the HR world, hiring managers may have questions about what exactly recruiting software is, how to choose one, and how to best leverage its features. The recruitment software field is flushed with options, and making a choice can be complicated. ClearCompany is committed to helping leaders navigate the waters and choose a recruiting system that best supports their hiring efforts. Below are some answers to questions that HR professionals frequently ask when choosing a recruiting software to implement into their organizations.
Recruit and Retain Your A Players - See How During Your Free Demo of Our Recruitment Software.
What Is Recruiting Software?
Recruiting software is used by HR professionals in an effort to make the hiring pipeline of their organization more efficient. By assisting your team in optimizing their talent acquisition, hiring, and onboarding efforts, HR recruiting software can help to eliminate time-consuming and repetitive paperwork and administrative tasks. Implementing software like applicant tracking systems (ATS), candidate screening guides, and automated methods to contact applicants makes sourcing, interviewing, and adding new candidates to your hiring process much easier. Currently, over 70% of top companies are using recruitment software to assist their hiring process. ClearCompany offers a range of recruitment software, aimed at helping your organization with meeting its goals in hiring and retaining top talent.
What Can Recruiting Software Do?
- Help HR Departments Plan. Recruiting software helps examine budgets, positions needed, future hiring goals, talent gaps, and current A Players to understand what you need, what you have the capacity to bring on, who to target, and how to compensate them.
- Streamline the Process. A process that’s consistent from hiring season to hiring season and candidate to candidate will make for a more efficient hiring process that results in better hires, better candidate experience, and better retention rates.
- Keep Things Organized. Everyone from the recruiter to the screener, to the hiring manager, and the supervising manager has the ability to see how things work, where candidates are in the process, how well they score, and when interviews are scheduled. Everyone on the hiring team can operate under a shared set of standards to ensure a more effective hiring process.
- Automate the Tedious Parts. There’s a lot of paperwork involved in hiring, which can slow down the process and result in a loss of momentum. Hiring quickly is an advantage in the job market, and recruiting software allows for HR departments to cut through the administrative work and focus instead on the important aspects of building relationships and getting a better understanding of candidates.
Why is Recruiting Software Important For Your Team?
There are a plethora of reasons to implement recruiting software into your current processes. Recruiting software gathers data on candidates and uses people analytics to track whether an applicant would be a good fit for the role. The ClearCompany Applicant Tracking System assists recruiters in writing job descriptions and uses machine learning to comb through resumes for keywords and traits that fit the candidate you are attempting to attract. HR professionals are spending an average of 23.7 days on the interview process, whether it’s screening resumes or scheduling interviews. Leveraging the tools available through recruitment software can free-up your HR team’s schedule, allowing them to become strategic partners to the organization by focusing on the important strategic tasks associated with hiring.
Apart from minimizing the time spent on tedium, implementing recruitment software into your hiring process can lead to attracting better hires overall. Rather than starting from scratch whenever your team needs to hire a new employee, you can rely on your recruiting software to pull from an existing talent pool that contains applicants you already know are a good fit for the role. Recruiting software allows for smarter decisions by integrating data into the decision-making process.
How Recruiting Software Helps Build Relationships
Recruiting software helps facilitate conversation by creating opportunities for two-way communication between recruiters and candidates. One-way communication can slow down the recruiting process and cause recruiters to overlook or miss top talent. Recruiting software enables a seamless experience where recruiters can reach applicants where they are and start building relationships more quickly. Applicants want to know that they’re interacting with real people, not just algorithms, and recruiting software makes it easy to personalize communication with your applicants.
Build a Better Candidate ExperienceRecruiting software makes it easier to fine-tune your candidate experience and improve both your talent funnel and your employer brand. Here are a few ways you can use the tools in your HR software to upgrade your candidate experience:
- Craft the right messaging. Have a personalized subject line and keep your message to 500 characters or less. Avoid the approach of “I have a need,” and make your message about the candidate’s profile and experience.
- Follow up early, follow up often. Responding to candidates quickly and making sure they understand every step of the process will separate you from your competition.
- Send a thank you note to applicants you pass on. They have taken time out of their schedule to interview, and a little bit of follow up goes a long way. It’s amazing how much gratitude candidates show by simply providing them with closure, and they’re more likely to recommend you to their networks.
- Sell the brand. Are you just going through the motions, or are you trying to get candidates genuinely excited about your opportunities? Sell your brand, but don’t oversell a role into something it’s not. The last thing you want is a disgruntled new hire telling you the role is vastly different than what was described.
- Aim for efficiency in your process. The more barriers you put in the process, the lower the percentage of candidates that complete it. Do you have a 45-minute application or 3 on-site interviews? Look for areas to trim down while maintaining a challenging yet fair selection process.
Need help getting buy in for your ATS?
Check out these tips in our Buyer’s Checklist.
How to Build an Employer Brand with Recruiting Software
Recruiting software makes it easier to standardize verbiage, automate messages, take pulse surveys, and ask for feedback. The key to a good employer brand is knowing where you stand.
Employer branding is the relationship your organization has with current employees and those you see as ideal future employees. As such, you already have an employer brand — whether intentionally or not. If you have trouble defining your employer brand, can’t easily identify your key differentiators, or look to your competitors to see how to market yourself, the applicants you’re trying to reach won’t know what differentiates you either. Crafting a message that attracts the right talent, allows you to tell an authentic story about your organization’s mission, vision, and values, and what it’s really like to work there. Even in highly competitive markets. The key is to be in control of your reputation, both in the market and amongst your employees.
Key metrics your HR software can help you understand in order to refine your employer brand and candidate experience include:
- Source of hire
- Cost per hire
- Diversity of applicants and hires
- Candidate experience reviews
- Pipeline metrics showing applicant-to-interview and interview-to-accept ratios
- Offer acceptance rate
- Satisfaction scores measured through incremental surveys to your employees
- Changes in attrition rates marking any changes after the date of brand implementation
- Quality of hire (This can be done by scoring interviews on the same scale as performance reviews and measuring the variance.)
- Glassdoor ratings and other external evaluation channels
Better Interviews, Better Quality of Hire
Along with candidate experience, a more structured, deliberate interview can result in a better and more comfortable interaction, and it can also help improve your quality of hire by targeting the right questions, the right style of conversation, and getting to know the real potential of the candidate instead of making decisions based on gut feelings.
Focus on Efficiency
- Scorecards help define the role and how a person’s ability fits the need. Recruiting software allows hiring managers to create scorecards around each role and its specific duties. By asking a set of competency and behavioral-based questions, candidates can be scored against an objective rubric rather than a subjective feeling.
- Screening Interviews help identify A-Players early on. A short phone-based interview can be scheduled, notated, tagged, and shared among the hiring team.
- Interview scheduling finds time and helps interviewers prepare. There are often many people involved in the interview process. Recruiting software makes it easier to schedule across several calendars, send reminders, and organize paperwork so that everyone is prepared, on time, and has the right criteria and questions at the ready.
Eliminate Unconscious Bias
HR software helps to automate the screening process and eliminate the unconscious bias of the human element in the early stages of recruitment. Algorithms and rubrics can’t make judgments based on names, gender, physical capabilities, age, or history. Nor do they have preconceived notions about individuals that may impact their decision making.
Incorporating unconscious bias training is an important step in the interview process, and using recruiting software helps remove any unknown biases upfront so that the risk of exclusion is even smaller.
What Kinds of Recruiting Software Are Out There?
There are a variety of recruiting software available for HR professionals. Some popular examples include:
- Applicant Tracking Systems - Recruiting software allows hiring managers to create scorecards around each role and its specific duties. By asking a set of competency and behavioral-based questions, candidates can be scored against an objective rubric rather than a subjective feeling.
- Candidate Relationship Management - This system allows HR professionals to create a talent pool of potential candidates. You can draw upon this talent pool when roles open within the company. It also provides a method of nurturing relationships outside of peak hiring times.
- Interviewing Software - Interviewing software frees up HR professionals’ schedules by allowing them to schedule interviews through the platform. These interviews can either be watched and conducted in real-time or can be recorded and referenced at a later date. A major advantage of online interviewing is that it saves time and money for both the recruiter and the candidate, especially if the candidate is from a distant location.
ClearCompany offers a full-service platform of solutions that, when used cohesively, create a unified, efficient process — from hiring and onboarding to managing the talent currently employed at your organization.
What Are the Benefits of Using Recruiting Software?
Companies who have implemented recruiting software into their hiring process have seen up to 40% lower turnover rates in new hires. With the cost of turnover averaging out to the equivalent of 6-9 months of an employee salary, this helps to save companies significantly in their hiring budget each year.
Recruiting software can also lead to a reduction in bias when it comes to hiring. Whether consciously or unconsciously, humans are often vulnerable to biased decision making. Utilizing an automated system to screen applicants can help to remove bias from this process. Finally, recruiting software betters the overall candidate experience. Recruitment software gives candidates real-time feedback on their applications and offers insights on the strengths and weaknesses of their resumes, leading to an overall better experience for your candidates.
ClearCompany can help you transform your hiring process with our portfolio of recruiting software. From our Applicant Tracking System to our paperless onboarding process, we can assist you as you bring new talent into your organization. For more information on how ClearCompany can help you find the best candidate fit for your company, reach out to our experts today to get started on transforming your hiring plan and talent management this year.